Sunday, August 29, 2010

Diaper Cake!

Happy Sunday! It's been a while..... school has started and I no longer have a 'life'. Well my summer life is over,and I can no longer do what I want when I want. However, I am lucky to say I LOVE my job. My class is sweet! They're a handful though. Our grade level is very boy heavy and I have 15 boyssss and 7 girls. I do have some great leaders and role models so that is helpful. It's quite a mix. Definitely going to have some challenges - but nothing I can't handle! I'll post classroom pics soon... some of the best quotes of the week were:

"Mrs. Corl...while I go to the bathroom will you finish coloring this for me?"

"Mrs. Corl...I've been to L.A. How do you spell L.A.?"

hehe I know there are more to come!


One of my closest coworker friends, Amber is having a baby girl! She is due Sept 12 and we hope she can make it to her school shower on Tuesday! I really wanted to get her a diaper cake. I've never seen one in person, only in pictures online. Well we found out someone who makes them and they're veryyy expensive. I had no idea how expensive diapers were! I decided to take on the task of making one! I love crafts...and I figured it would be a fun project and gift for Amber.

Her nursery, and our shower theme, based off of a pattern from pottery barn.

Too cute right?! Well I bought over 60 diapers and then little "its a girl" knick knacks from Hobby Lobby. I decided to take pics step by step incase I wanted to make one again. Here's how it went....

Gathered all of my materials (I sound like such a teacher...) Tons of diapers, rubber bands (assorted sizes), baby lotion, and a cookie sheet. So each diaper is rolled from 'butt' to front. From the bottom of the diaper to the openning and then secured with a rubberband. Then using the baby lotion...put all the diapers around it and secure with a bigger rubber band. Hub was a super help here. You really need 4 hands to do this! I found it easier to roll and band all the diapers first and then it was quick to assemble...with help of course. Here you can see I made a 2nd and 3rd row. About 30+ diapers here... wish I had counted!

Now you use some double sided tape and add a 4 oz. bottle on top! Oops..forgot to add those to my materials list. I thought it was so genius to use baby products to be the base of the diaper cake tiers. So many smart people out there I stole ideas from!

Now you make two layers around the bottle...
One more layer around the very top of the bottle! And you have 3 tiers!!! Now real fun begins...

TA DA!!! This is her finished diaper cake. I added thick ribbon first around all three tiers. The top is a birdie car toy...so she can use that later along the with 2 binkies, and hair bow/barettes. The barettes didn't make this picture...but they were easy to clamp onto the diapers and ribbon. I made green boy accents, and the other girlie knick knacks came from hobby lobby. They had all the homecoming mum stuff out and this came from the 'baby mum' section. Too cute. I hot glued the stuff to the ribbons. I made sure to not get it stuck to the diapers! The whole point is so she can unroll and use these diapers later! Just take your time and be careful! It really was so much fun! I think I impressed Ryan with my 'crafty' skills. hehe Maybe I could make another career out of making these for people! I'll take orders ;)

I have other close up pics...but having trouble arranging them. Blogger pros I need help! Do you really have to drag everyyy pic you upload from the top of your post down to the spot you want it in? Am I missing something here? Help!

Have a great week everyone!

It's a wonderful life!

6 comments:

  1. When I saw your post I literally said "get out!" I'm a FREAK and was looking at baby bedding last friday and saw that and really was tempted to buy it for my unborn child (jk, sorta) I LOVE IT! so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading the post and read "Gathered all of my materials" and immediately thought... geeze sheis such a teacher! Then read what you wrote next haha, great minds think alike! :) Super cute! Miss you love you byeee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My diaper cake is the cutest thing ever! It's our kitchen table centerpiece right now. I am having the same problem with my blog, I gave up posting pics because it was so annoying. Let me know if you figure it out because I know I'll want to post lots of pics soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you ruin the surprise?
    or is this entry post-shower?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, Sara. I've wondered how to do a diaper cake and might try your version sometime. Thanks! Also, I enjoyed reading through your blog just now! I used to blog and you've reminded me of how much fun it is! I might type a few more entries-feeling a little inspiration! I'll add you to our blog reader's list' if you'd like! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO fun! I miss you too, thanks for your post and I love that I just finished making a diaper cake tonight for a shower I am helping to host, saw your comment and came to post on your blog only to see that you made one too! Miss you SO much, let's talk soon! Love you Mrs. Corl!

    ReplyDelete